PITTENDRIGH, George, and William MESTON. Story of our Madras Mission. Edinburgh, Publications Office United Free Church, 1907.
Small 8vo. Original maroon cloth, pp. 128, plates after photographs, folding colour-printed map at rear; a very good copy of a great rarity; provenance: Dr Miller's copy. He was one of the Scottish missionaries and wrote a history of Madras Christian College, obituary of the co-author William Meston tipped in onto preface page, resulting in a little discoloured area of two leaves.
First edition. 'Madras Christian College traces its origin to the General Assembly School founded by the Rev. John Anderson, a Missionary from the Church of Scotland on 3rd April 1837. Anderson was a pioneer in introducing English medium education in South India. He was ably assisted by Rev. Johnston, Rev. Braidwood and Margaret Locher Anderson. Rev. William Miller who arrived in 1862 upgraded the school to a college by adding F.A. and B.A., courses in 1865 and 1867. Along with a few other Protestant missions in Madras, Miller transformed the institution and named it ‘Madras Christian College’ on 1st January 1877. Miller’s bold academic vision, supported by the generous contribution from his family members, old students and the Madras Government raised the most impressive array of college buildings and hostels (student homes) opposite the High Court complex' (MCC website).