MILLINGTON, Barry [editor]. The Wagner Journal, Volume 17, Number 2. London, The Wagner Journal, 2023.
8vo. Original illustrated card-wrappers; pp. 96, highly illustrated throughout.
This is the current issue, guest-edited by Katherine Syer; containing the following feature articles:
• Adrian Müller on Kurt Overhoff and Wieland Wagner’s Bayreuth. - Kurt Overhoff played a central role of in the musical and aesthetic development of Wieland Wagner, but was long erased from history of Bayreuth.
• Kirsten Paige on the curious connections between the two ‘nervous asylums’ on the green hill at
Bayreuth and the Festspielhaus with which they were sometimes confused.
• Ryan M. Prendergast on ‘humour and humourlessness’ in Die Meistersinger.
• Interview with Pietari Inkinen, conductor of the 2023 Bayreuth Ring.
• Tribute to Matthew Rye, 1962–2023, reviews editor of The Wagner Journal.
plus reviews of: Lohengrin at the Met, Tannhäuser at Salzburg and Covent Garden, Parsifal in Geneva, The Rhinegold at ENO; Jessye Norman: The Unreleased Masters; biographies of Minna Wagner and Cosima Wagner by Eva Rieger and Sabina Zurmühl, and Fortuny: Time, Space, Light by Wendy Ligon Smith.
We currently are stocking a number of back issues.