WALKER, John. Chandahpoor. [Dehradun], East India Company, 1856.
Engraved map, hand-coloured in outline, dissected and and linen-backed for folding, measuring 98 by 66 cm; a few margins of the sections a bit frayed, toned.
This is a very rare survival from one of the East India Company's greatest cartographic projects, a map from the Atlas of India, produced in Dehradun, the seat of the Survey of India. Walker was geographer to the company, and his surveyors were Lieutenants Norris and Watson. This map showing the surroundings of modern Chandrapur in Maharashtra State, with many areas not surveyed or mapped yet, was used in the field by one soldier N. N. Crichton, who inscribed his name, added geographical notes, routes and military positions by hand.