from the library of a medical pioneer in east africa
VON HÖHNEL, Ludwig. Discovery of Lakes Rudolf and Stefanie. A Narrative of Count Samuel Teleki's Exploring & Hunting Expedition in Eastern Equatorial Africa in 1887 & 1888 … translated by Nancy Bell (N. D'Anvers). London, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1894.
Two volumes, 8vo. Original green cloth gilt, gilt vignettes to upper cover; pp. xx, 435; xii, 397; numerous wood-engraved illustrations in the text, portrait frontispiece to volume one, map frontispiece to volume two, large colour-lithographic folding map at rear of each volume, cloth a little rubbed and marked, a little spotted throughout internally; neatly strengthened to head and tail of spines, some foxing, neat old repair to tears at inner fold of each folding map, else a very good set; provenance: from the library of the Kampala-based medical doctor Sir Albert R Cook with his bookplates inside front covers, a letter to him, reporting on the death of 'another dear old Uganda friend - Casson', dated 1930, loosely inserted.
First edition in English. According to the bibliographer Czech, 'this scarce set represents African adventure at its finest'. Count Teleki's expedition set off from Zanzibar and travelled in the region about Mount Kilimandjaro before exploring farther north. It succeeded in adding further to European knowledge of the Great Lakes region by its discovery of Lakes Rudolf and Stefanie, but attempts were also made on Mounts Kilimanjaro and Meru and considerable work of anthropological interest was undertaken. The expedition members also indulged their interest in big game hunting and this account offers records of their hunt for elephant, rhino, buffalo, eland and other game.
Provenance: 'On 14 May 1897 Cook opened Mengo Hospital, which consisted of two houses with reed walls, thatched roofs, and mud floors, and had beds for twelve patients. By the mid-1930s, Mengo Hospital had become the cornerstone of one of the best medical infrastructures in sub-Saharan Africa. Apart from providing accommodation for 132 Africans, twelve Europeans, and twenty-four Indian patients, Mengo Hospital maintained a training school for African medical assistants and a radiological department with the country's only complete X-ray apparatus. Additionally Mengo Hospital was associated with the Lady Coryndon Maternity Training School, which opened in June 1921 (ODNB)'.
Czech p. 78.