[THUILLIER, Henry Edward Landor, Surveyor General of India]. Preliminary Sketch of the Geology of India by the Officers of the Geological Survey of India (first issue) 1877 … Geographical Materials, compiled from the most recent topographical Revenue Surveys, based on the Great Triangulation. Calcutta, Engraved [and printed] in the Office of Surveyor General of India, August 1877.
Lithographic map with printing in colour (105 x 108 cm), linen-backed and dissected into 35 segments and folding back into the original maroon cloth folder (25 x 17 cm), lettered and decorated in gilt and black; very lightly spotted in places only, a good copy of a very rare map; provenance; Library of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (stamp on one panel verso).
This map was issued to accompany the first two parts of A Manual of the Geology of India (1879) which is at least as hard to find as the map itself. Two more parts appeared in 1881 and 1887, respectively.
'Thuillier succeeded Sir Andrew Scott Waugh as surveyor-general on 13 March 1861, and was promoted lieutenant-colonel in the same year, colonel on 20 September 1865, and major-general on 26 March 1870. The survey of the more settled parts of India had been completed, and many of the surveys successfully carried out under Thuillier were over mountainous and forested regions or sandy deserts, and frequently in parts never before visited by Europeans. About 1861 he transferred most of the survey activities to large new premises in Calcutta, finding the seat of government a better location for his headquarters than Dehra Dun. In 1868 he transferred the preparation of the atlas of India from England to Calcutta, selecting a staff of engravers in India for the purpose, and encouraging John Baboneau Nickterlien Hennessey to introduce the photozincographic process to add to the improvements in lithography which Thuillier had previously overseen' (ODNB).