TEALL, Sir Jethro Justinian Harris. British Petrography: with Special Reference to the Igneous Rocks. Birmingham: Watson Brothers and Douglas and London: Bemrose & Sons for Dulau & Co., 1886-1888.
8vo (271 x 180mm). Late 20th-century buckram for the Royal Institution, spine lettered and dated in gilt and with gilt crest at the foot, red sprinkled edges; pp. [i]-vii (half-title, verso blank, title dated 1888, epigraphs and imprint on verso, preface dated 1888, abbreviations), [1 (errata)], -4 (contents and plates), -469 (1886 title, verso blank, abbreviations, verso blank, introduction, blank p., text; vide infra), [1 (blank p.)]; 45 chromolithographic plates by J.W. Watson after J.J.H. Teall, Harriet Teall, Watson, F. Oswald, F. Johnson, F. Rutley, printed by Bemrose & Sons, each with accompanying text leaf with full-page lithographic key-plate on recto, one chromolithographic and one photographic plate with letterpress text on verso, illustrations in the text; extremities very lightly rubbed, a few ll. lightly marked, 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th ll. bound in reverse order, one key-plate l. bound in back-to-front, short marginal tears with small loss on final plate, otherwise a very fresh and clean copy; provenance: The Royal Institution (inkstamps on front endpapers, crest on spine).
First edition. Teall (1849-1924) studied science at Cambridge University, and in 1874 he was the first recipient of the Sedgwick prize for geology, and he was elected a Fellow of his college, St John's, in 1875. 'Teall was one of the first British geologists to study the mineralogical changes induced by stresses within the earth's crust, and to deal with the natural history and genesis of many important metamorphic minerals…Teall's extensive study of British igneous rocks led him to publish his greatly admired British Petrography (1888), a beautifully illustrated work that remains a monument to his scientific ability, his broad outlook, and his clear interpretation of geological phenomena. His wife was responsible for some of the fine illustrations' (ODNB). Unusually, this copy retains the original title-page with the Birmingham: Watson Brothers and Douglas, 1886 imprint and a leaf of 'Abbreviations', which were presumably intended to be removed at the end of publication and replaced with new preliminaries issued with the final section published (the new preliminaries are also present here). The presence of the original title would indicate that this copy was bound up from the original parts.
BM(NH) V, p. 2080.