OVERTON, John. A New Mapp of the City of London much Inlarged since the Great Fire in 1666 in which are several Streets places and Buildings of Note which hath been Added since aney other Mapps of London before this hath been Published.
Original engraving on two sheets joined, extending north to south from Clerkenwell to Southwark, and west to east from St. James's to Whitechapel, some even age toning, and a few old folds reinforced. Printed & Sold by John Overton at the White Horse without Newgate London, 1707. 700 x 1080 mm.
Although based upon Wencelaus Hollar's 1685 plan (Howgego 35), Overton's plan is considerably larger with a great many alterations. It bears the imprint of John Overton's son Henry, who took over the business in 1707. To the upper left are the arms of the City of London, to the upper right a list of churches with and without the City walls; below is a list of the public buildings, streets, taverns, and the location of Henry Overton's shop - marked by the letter 'P' and a white horse. Upon the banks of the Thames, Overton has clearly marked the stairs from which one could hire a ferryman; "Fleet Ditch" or Fleet River is highlighted, as are the Tower of London, Whitehall, Scotland Yard, London Bridge, St James's, Parliament, Lambeth Palace, and St Pauls.