CARROLL, Lewis (author and illustrator). Alice's Adventures Under Ground. London; The Folio Society. 2008.
8vo. Attractively bound in publisher's full dark green Nigerian goatskin leather, flat spine decorated in gilt, rounded corners, all edges gilt, preserved in the fine publisher's presentation box designed by Neil Gover in dark green and lavish gilt, incorporating an onlaid oval portrait of Alice Liddell; pp. [iv], -90 + [i], printed on fine Gardapat Kiara paper; with title and dedication pages printed in three colours, chapter-headings in red, and the manuscript text and 37 drawings by Dodgson printed in sepia; complete with the 32-page sewn booklet, The Original Alice by Sally Brown with portrait illustrations in sepia; fine throughout.
First edition thus. This is a faithful facsimile reproduction of the original manuscript of Alice's Adventures Under Ground, held in the British Library. One of only 3,750 numbered copies for a worldwide market.
On 4th July 1862 the Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, mathematics lecturer at Christ Church College, Oxford, and his friend Robinson Duckworth, a fellow of Trinity College, went on a river trip to Godstow with the three daughters of the Dean of Christ Church, Lorina, Alice and Edith Liddell. Charles Dodgson, or Lewis Carroll as he became known, amused the girls with the fairy tale of 'Alice's Adventures Under Ground', which he invented as they rowed. Alice was particularly keen for him to write it out for her, which he agreed to do, staying up nearly all night in the process. He later prepared a fair copy of this manuscript, with illustrations of his own devising, which he had bound and which he presented to Alice as an early Christmas present in November 1864. Copies of the manuscript were soon enjoyed by literary friends such as George Macdonald and Henry Kingsley and Dodgson made the decision to publish it. The private version was eventually substantially 're-written and enlarged', almost doubling in length, with many episodes and characters added, private references removed, and Dodgson's own amateur artwork replaced by collotype illustrations after wood-engravings by John Tenniel.