ANON. Hotel Universo, Roma Italy
Original hotel luggage label, c.1950. 88 x 115 mm.
In 1933, the hotel was opened as the “Pensione Roscioli”, the first boarding house in Rome with running water in all rooms. In 1943 the hotel came under German Army command, and then, after the Liberation of Rome, it became a British Army base. After the war, the family renovated the hotel thoroughly, so much that friends and habitual customers were amazed and renamed it “Universo”.